Saturday, June 22, 2013

Scariest Day

Yesterday was the scariest day of my life so far!! Well, since my last post the bleeding had stopped and then Tuesday morning it came back. So we went back to the doctors and the baby was fine but they were not sure why I was spotting. So since Tuesday I have been having brownish reddish discharge and tissue appeared in the toilet. 

Friday it seemed the discharge had stopped and I was going out of town (3 hours north) for work. I had noticed a pin drop of blood on my panty liner in the morning but thought nothing of it. We got to our destination early and decided to have lunch; went to the bathroom before and all was good. When we were getting ready to leave I felt pressure and then I stood up and felt something between my legs. Ran to the bathroom and bright red blood was soaking my underwear and was all over the toilet. I was so scared because there was so much blood. I told my boss and then called wifey. My coworkers found an emergency room which was difficult because I have kaiser and was scared about a bill. I have only been once to an emergency room that I can remember and it was so quick. Well this visit was not quick. I checked in waited and hour to see the triage nurse and then 2.5 hours later was finally taken back after bleeding through my pants. I was so scared and alone. The doctor came in and talked to me; he ordered some lab work and an ultrasound. 15 min later the ultrasound tech was in the room looking for the baby. She did not turn the screen towards me. She kept moving and pushing the handle around. After 5 min I asked if she saw the baby and she said yes and I asked if she saw a heartbeat; she said yes. It was a huge relief. But why was I bleeding and why so much. The baby measured on time and its heart rate was 167. She said the baby looked good but could not find why I was bleeding. The ultrasound was a little cloudy because I was constipated. The tech also said my cervix was closed and measured 3.6 cm. The tech noted that my placenta is sitting low close to my cervix. The doctor finally came in an hour later and performed a visual exam. He also said my cervix was closed but he saw a lot of tissue on my uterus (I think) and was not sure why I was bleeding. He was very concerned and thought I should see a high risk doctor. The tech and doctor gave me a great exam and after 5 hours was finally being discharged wearing blue scrubs and a silky gray and yellow shirt... new fashion statement?? My coworkers brought me home. The wifey did not come and get me because she worked all night and she did not know where I was. 
Since yesterday I've only had blood (brownish red) when I wipe but lots of tissue. I am taking it easy this weekend and I tried to get an appointment with a doctor but no luck with Kaiser. I do have an appointment with the nurse practitioner I've been seeing. We need to find out why I keep spotting and keep passing tissue. Plus why did I have the big bleeding. I notice when I do more activity... Like work and walk around the spitting is worse.
Needless to say it was very scary and I felt so bad for my coworkers. I am glad that this baby is hanging on and I hope it continues to stay put and bake.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! That sounds super scary! If your placenta is close to the cervix maybe it's placenta previa? That can cause lots of spotting but still have a normal and healthy pregnancy. I hope you find out soon and am glad the baby is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! That sounds really scary! I am so sorry you are having so much stress right now! Hopefully everything is going to stay alright! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad things seem ok, hope you are able to get some answers soon. stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how awful and scary for you! I'm so so glad bub is ok. I agree with Nurse BiBi though, it could be placenta previa, which can cause bleeding, especially after physical activity. I have a friend who had it and just had a healthy little boy. I hope you get that appointment soon and find out what is going on.

    ReplyDelete