Friday, January 27, 2012

I miss you Mya

Not that I have any readers... but to chronicle my life today I will tell you about Mya and what happen one year ago.

Mya was our beautiful German Shepherd (GSD). All my life I knew I want a GSD, when I was young and lived at my grandparents house we had a GSD named Sam and I thought he was just the best. So, finally college was over, Wifey had finished and it just seemed like the right time. So after asking the landlord and then finally convincing the wifey to go look at puppies in the papers we went. We saw some white GSD's but they did not spark my fancy and then we went to the ghetto and there were the cutest little GSD puppies ever. And 2 other couples looking at them as well. I had a chubby puppy in my hands when I felt teeth around my ankle... ouch one of the puppies bit me. Wifey said immediately that she wanted that one. Okay but what about the fat one... I liked the fluffy one... she said no she wanted the feisty one. Okay, but we needed cash. I did not want to leave my fur baby behind. So, Wifey went and got the cash and we took our new baby to Petsmart. She farted all the way there out of nervousness. But so began our lives together. She was a fiesty puppy but all the new things and experiences were so much fun!! She got very sick a few days after getting her and she had to be hospitalized -- it felt so horrible leaving my baby at the dogie hospital; but she got better.

Mya was not perfect but she was our baby; sweet as pie to us but a stranger better watch out because she was 90 pounds of pure GSD.

Well, 4 years into our lives she stopped eating and was drinking more water. This was very uncommon because Mys LOVED to eat (more than I do). She was eating her dinner at odd hours or not at all. So I thought she had a stomach bug and bought her cottage cheese. Well, she started eating again. A week later I stopped the cottage cheese and she stopped eating... I thought she was just playing us to get the cottage cheese. But wifey insisted we take her to the vet.

We went to the vet and he said she looked good. I then asked him about two small marbles I felt in her neck and if that was normal. He checked and then got concerned. After checking other parts of her body he thought she either had an infection or cancer. What cancer... he said he had to do a biopsy to be sure. He took her into the back room (under light sedation -- LOVE our vet that he makes the pets comfortable). A few moments later they were back and he said he was 90% sure it was cancer after looking at her spleen. What how could this happen she's only 4 years old.

We cried all the way home... I was not ready to loose my fur baby. So we started researching and got a second opinion. There was no cure for her type of cancer; only treatment and after reading about it we opted to make her life as comfortable as possible till the end.

She was diagnosed on October 28, 2010 and lived till January 28, 2011. We decided her comfort level was lowering and we did not want her to suffer. She got chick fil a chicken nuggets and then went to be more comfortable. This was one of the hardest days of my life and I miss Mya everyday... no one will ever be here. She was the best GSD ever.

Mya will remain in our hearts forever and because of her we have rescued 2 dogs from the Greater California German Shepherd Rescue and continue to support them and possible foster more dogs.

We love you Mya!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment