Thursday, January 9, 2014

Far too overdue update

Wow... time has flown by!!! My son, Dylan, was born on January 2nd at 11:58 pm and weighed 9 lbs 15 oz. he is perfect! Absolutely the most beautiful baby I've ever seen, but I am biased!!! We stayed in the hospital for a little over 24 hours. Going home was a little scary for me... Leaving the bubble of the hospital and all the helpful nurses!

Breastfeeding was a struggle and he was having such a hard time latching, plus he was not getting enough so he was upset and would sit on my boobs for hours! It was such a struggle. A nurse suggested we try a little formula and it helped. Once at home I continued to try but it was frustrating for us both. I broke down and started formula. I was feeling so guilty that I decided I would pump and feed him the milk. I went to see a lactation consultant and she ordered me a hospital grade pump. I also rescheduled the appointment to bring Dylan back in to work on him latching. But then I ended up back in the hospital. 

After my lactation appointment I had an OBGYN appointment because it was hurting so badly to urinate. After a little protesting I gave the nurse a urine sample which actually showed a high amount of protein in it and I had high blood pressure. The poor doctor came into the room to me bawling because I was in pain from peeing,  it had been a few hours since I'd seen my son and I was feeling so guilty about Breastfeeding.   The doctor felt bad because he said I was going to have to go to the ER and that I would probably be admitted for my blood pressure. 

I was pissed to have to go to the ER. I felt fine and I did not want to be around sick people. After about an hour I was finally given a little triage room and the doctor who delivered my son came down to see me. She pretty much confirmed I would be admitted for preeclampsia. The good news was I was going back to the mother and baby wing where I recovered after birth and my son could come and see me.

After being admitted I was immediately hooked up to magnesium sulfate and the doctor confirmed I had preeclampsia post delivery. Great. I was going to have to stay for a minimum of 24 hours. The medicine was awful. I felt fine prior to the medicine but it started to make me weak, I vomited, my vision went blurry and had the worst headache ever. Plus, where they put my IV, it made it very hard to hold my son! I was so thankful when they took me off the magnesium yesterday. My son came later in the afternoon when I was feeling better and I got to feed him twice and hold him.

Currently, I am waiting to be discharged and can't wait to go home. I never really got get settled at home!

Love this little guy!!


  1. he is perfect! tremendous congratulations to you both, what a great way to start the new year. hope you get to go home soon, truly get settled in. feel better and be sure to take it easy as much as you can! welcome little guy!!

  2. Yayyy congrats! He is so beautiful :)

  3. So happy to see you update!! He's precious! I was pretty worried about ya, but it looks like everything went well, at least for your pregnancy. Love this picture! Hope you get to feeling better! And, as far as the breastfeeding guilt, I had the same guilt, but you know what, sweetie, formula is fine. My daughter is a formula baby after my boobs were not acceptable feeding methods and she is a thriving almost 2 year old. It sucks to feel that guilt. Instead, feel the joy of your newborn and provide for him the best you can!

  4. He's here, he's here! Congratulations mamas! I'm not sure how I missed this post but wanted to check in to say that he is beautiful and I'm so happy for you. Now hurry and give us some updates (with pictures)! ;)